• Minister says 30 such bus shelters
• GHMC to have 800 new bus shelters
• Modern Grade 1 shelter has baby feeding room, toilets, AC, SoS button, kiosks, eateries
Hyderabad: Minister for Municipal Administration & Urban Development K T Rama Rao on Tuesday inaugurated an air-conditioned modern bus shelter opposite Shilparamam at HITEC City. The minister said that the City would have at least 30 such bus shelters with ultra-modern facilities. The minister also inspected the baby feeding room, kiosks, and SoS button, in the modern bus shelter. What’s most attractive in the Grade 1 Bus Shelter opposite Oracle in HITEC city area is an exclusive “baby bfeeding room” for mothers of infants who may have to feed their kids on the go. This facility is not restricted only to the passengers who throng the bus shelter for boarding a bus. This is meant for moms who pass by the area also.
Another feature of this bus shelter is an SoS button which will alert a command centre in case of emergencies. Transport Minister P Mahender Reddy, City Mayor Bonthu Rammohan, Local MLA Arekapudi Gandhi, and Commissioner of GHMC Dr B Janardhan Reddy also participated in the program. The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) has handed over 826 bus shelters – close to 400 are existing and another 400 are being newly built – to four different agencies on a DBFOT basis through tender process. They would erect all new bus shelters at the new sites and also replace the existing ones with new shelters with modern designs and amenities. The shelters are classified into four different grades.
The features of the Modern Bus Shelters project are:
• There will be at least 30 Grade 1 bus shelters.
• A grade 1 shelter will have air-conditioned seating area, kiosk, coffee/cool drink vending machines, small food courts, ATMs, separate toilets for ladies and gents. All the Grade 1 shelters will be WiFi-enabled so that people can access internet while waiting for the buses.
The modern bus shelters will have display of bus timings and routes. The grade 1 shelters will have digital display of bus movements also.
• The Grade 2 bus shelters which dot the main routes would have a common toilet depending on the space availability and other amenities, while Grade 3 and Grade 4 would be inside colonies.