Sleep is a complex process for restoration and renewal of body metabolism. It is essential commodity for all human beings and animals. It is a significant to have a healthy body and stay refreshed through out the day to perform scheduled daily activities. Humans mostly spend one fourth of their lives for sleeping and overall well-being of a person depends on sufficient sleep factor only. Nerve-signaling chemicals called neurotransmiters control whether we are asleep or awake by acting on different groups of nerve cells,neurons in the brain.Neurons connect the brain with the spinal cord which produces neurotransmitters such as serotin and norepinephrine that keeps some parts of the brain active while we are asleep.Researches suggest that chemical adenosine builds up in the blood which makes us awake and causes drowsiness. It occurs in repeating periods in which body alternates between two distinct modes such as non-REM and REM sleep.
Rapid Eye Movement – This mode of sleep leads virtual paralysis of the body, during the sleeping mode, most of the body’s system are in a anabolic state to restore immune system, nervous system,skeletal muscular systems. These are the required to maintain mood,memory,cognitive performance and potray a predominant role in functioning of the endocrine system.It was described in 1953 when sleep researchers have noticed a unique pattern of brain waves( signals recorded –electroencephalogram) it measures the electrical impulses with in the brain. Brain waves have a fast frequency, low voltage. Other factors are in activity of voluntary muscles that control the eye movement.It is also observed in REM sleep . About 20-25 sleep time – REM sleep.
Non Rapid Eye Movement (NREM) It usally occurs in 3 stages – Stage N1 sleep- A lagre transition leads to deeper sleep.This is the lightest stage of sleep,people may not always perceive, but they might fall asleep .It is a true sleeping state of mind which accounts for 40 -50 % of sleep time.This is also known as deep sleep,delta sleep or slow wave sleep.
People who are suffering from sleep disorders do not have adequate sleep.They are proned to physical and emotional disturbances. Sleep is influenced by the circardian rhymths ( regular body changes in mental and physical characteristics) that occurs 24 hrs in the body. These are controlled by brain neurons that respond to light, temperature,harmones and other signals. This clock regulates normal awake and sleep cycles. Disruption of these cycles make them feel drowsy,inactive state of mind and somlonent. Some aspects of sleep are under genetic influence,a gene termed as DEC is being investigated which needs 6 hours of sleep.Reserchers have only begun to examine genetics involved in sleeping patern.
Sleep disorders: Snooring, Sleep apnea, Insomnia,Sleep deprivation, restless legs syndrome are common hazards faced by humans. Good sleep is necessary for optimal health and can affect the harmonal levels as well their weight management.
Central Sleep Apnea – Breathing is disrupted regularly during sleep because of the way brain functions..
Insomnia– Characterised by difficulty in falling asleep.
Hypersomnia – (Day time sleeping) Excessive sleepiness is a condition in which a person has trouble staying awake during the day- time. People who are suffering from this hazard can fall asleep at work place or while driving.
Parasomnias – They are disruptive sleep disorders that can occur during arousals from REM sleep or partial arousals from Non –REM sleep. They indulge in nightmares,night terrors,sleep walking, confusional arousals.
Non 24hrs-S leep- Wake disorder- It is a specific kind of circadian,rhymth disorder that is common among blind people. People with this disorder gradually go to bed unwillingly and woke up suddenly in the middle of the night and walks silently until their sleep schedule gets flipped all away.
Periodic Limb Movement Disorder – It is a sleep disorder characterised by rhymthic movements of the limb during sleep.
Narcolepsy – Neurological disorders alters the sleep .
Childrens and adults require 10 hrs of sleep per night . If you wake up early you will be restless during the day time. Sleep hazards leave a negative impact on children’s academics, extra curricular activities and social bonding.
Tips for Good Sleep :
1. Stick to a specific sleep schedule – This helps us to regulate body clock and helps in falling asleep quickly during night.
2. Avoid nap in afternoon – If you had trouble in getting sleep avoid nap in afternoon. This will make you relaxed to get full sleep without any deviations.
3. Exercise – Everyone must indulge in physical activity to eliminate toxins from the body,maintain body fluids in an appropriate ratio and protect us from becoming obese patients.
4. Recreate your bedroom – Design your bedroom with wallpapers,painting,flowers which gives an attraction while entering the room and rotates us in a fantasy world by hallucinating it we will get good sleep.
5. Comfortable mattreses and pillows – Design your room beautifully with adequate mattreses and pillows so that there will be no body pains and you will get comfort sleep.
Bedroom should always be located at a far – away place away from noise to have peaceful sleep. It should be away from sunlight. Consider using black curtains, eye shades, ear plugs, white noise machines, etc.
1. Avoid Caffeine, Nicotine and alcohol before bedtime. Caffeine consumed early in the day can have an ability to fall asleep during night.
2.Maintain a specific timings for eating food to be fit and active were as irregular timings of having food at wee hours will lead to indigestion, sweating and disturbances in sleeping
3.Avoid watching late night movies,,video games,partys and tours. This will weaken your immune system and you will be inactive throughout the day. If you follow the saying – Early to bed early to rise is a simple logic for everyone to make ur wonderful life prosperous, Stich in time saves nine . Everybody needs to complete their given assignments at scheduled timings if u keep on postponding work will become more heavier to carry on our shoulders. So never try to be lazy person try to overcum it by eating a balanced diet with salads and celery that will boost up for memory power which is essential for the younger generation.
By habituating to good sleeping habits one can blossom their quality of life. Having healthy sleep habit is referred as having good sleep hygiene.
National Institute of Health suggests that most average adults require 7 to 9 hours of sleep, newborn-babies need 16 to 18 hours, preschool kids – 10 -12 hours,senior citizens – 12 hours and lactation mother need – 18 hours for relaxation.
- Each night when I go to sleep I die and the next morning when I wake up I am reborn.
- The only thing that comes to a sleeping men is dreams.
- Every closed eye is not sleeping and every open eye is not seeing.
- Sleeping is like meditation: it’s good to the rest of the body but also the mind down for a bit.
- I make it a rule never to smoke while I’m sleeping.
- The only thing that I’m obsessed with is sleeping, and actually ,it is more than an obsession, it is a pleasure.
- Sleep is no mean art: for its sake one must stay awake all day.
- A life of leisure and a life of laziness are two things. There will be sleeping time enough in the grave.
- I never thought of stopping,and I just hated sleeping, I can’t imagine having a better life.
- From reading too much, an sleeping too little, his brain dried upon him and he lost his judgement.
- “ The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night’s sleep.
- Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep,a refreshing bath and a glass of wine.
- ”Sleep is the best meditation.
- ” I count it as a certainty that in paradise, everyone naps.
- ”Leisure time is that five or six hours when you sleep at night.
- ” A day without a nap is like a cupcake without frosting.