International Women’s Day is a special day dedicated to all females irrespective of age. It is celebrated globally with lot of keen interest, grace and enthusiasm honoring the women achievers in the fields of sports,politics , showbiz, social , economic and political achievements.
It has been observed in early 1900’s a time of great expansion, turbulence in the industrialized world were it saw booming population growth and rise of radical ideologies. International Women’s day is a collaborative day of gender parity, government, NGO, charity, co-operations, academic institution, women’s network and media hub is responsible for Women’s day. IWD is all about unity, celebration, reflection, advocacy action at local level. It has been occurring over a century and continued to grow from strength to strength.
Significance of colours in IWD- The Purple color symbolises women, the combination of purple, green and white symbolises women’s equality which emerged from the Women’s social and political union in Uk 1908. Purple represents justice and dignity and green symbolises hope and white for purity. The introduction of yellow color represents a” new dawn” second wave of feminism.Purple with green represents traditional feminism and purple with yellow represents progressive contemporary feminism.
Great unrest and critical debate occurred among women. In 1908, one thousand women marched New York city demanding for shorter working hours, better pay and voter rights.It was celebrated grandly for first time by United Nations in 1975. Then in December 1977 General Assembly adopted a resolution proclaiming a United Nations day for Women’s Rights and international peace to be observed on any day in accordance with the historical and national traditions. IWD is a world wide event from political to social calling for gender equality. National Women’s day was observed in US on February 28th in accordance with a declaration by the Socialist Party of America. In 1910 a women by name Clara Zerkin leader of social democratic party in Germany tabled the idea of IWD. She suggests that every country should celebrate women’s day and fulfill their demands. A conference of more than 100 women from 17 countries agreed to her suggestion and IWD was formed. In 1911 it will be celebrated for first time in Austria, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland on March 19th. In 2011 former US President Barack Obama proclaimed March to be” Women’s History month”
Indian women potrays plenty of roles with lots of compassion love and affection in the form of a loving wife, deep caring mother, affectionate sister. She is a strong pillar of a developing nation.A special day is allotted to celebrate the valour of women and inner strengths. In India women’s day is celebrated with lot of fervour and zeal.It is a great day in India spoiled by atrocities against woman like rape, dowry, female infanticide, exploitation of women at work place. Many woman organisations participate in various activities like mass rallies, seminars, documentaries, TV shows, NGO’S walking towards upliftment of women obstacles. They fight for girl education,eradication of dowry culture and reservation of seats for women in local Panchayats. In India crime committed upon women is a disgrace to the society as they are suppressed by male dominance.
Women’s Day is celebrated on March 8th to appreciate the remarkable contribution of women in our society. Women is a heart touching word which fetches varied emotions selfless love, nurturing, caring, helping nature . She is an epitome of infinity love , sacrifice care and ability to think innovative discoveries to explore the world. Women fights against all odds that appears before her and finally comes out with flying colors as a real winner. Some of the brave women achievers are Annie Besant, Sarojini Naidu, Mother Teresa, Jhansi Lakshmibai, Indira Gandhi, Kiran Bedi, Mary kom, Saina Nehwal,Priyanka Chopra, Medha Patkar, Hellen Keller, Ophrah Winfrey etc. Women now are more empowered and are aware of their rights and society has to accept their stand. This Women’s day has been recognised by the UN General Assembly to recognise the contribution of women in fields of politics, space exploration and arts and special awards will be allotted to women champions in various fields.
Quotes: The day is contributed to society with their immense talent, perseverance and timeless wisdom.
- Extremists have shown what frightens them most is “A girl with a book”
- “Well Behaved women rarely make history”
- “You should never let your fears prevent you from doing what you know is right”
- A woman is like a teabag – You may never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
- Whether women are better than men, I cannot predict but I can say they are certainly not worse”
- Rock bottom became solid foundation of which I rebuild my life.
- I alone cannot change would but if I throw a stone across water streams it create many ripples.
- Elegance is when the inside us is as beautiful as outside.
- ‘’Women are the mammoth reservoir of power and talent which has yet not been tapped”
- “A woman is one who walks on her own footsteps rather than following the direction shown by the crowd”
- “The best way to change the society and the underlying issues is to channelize the power of woman in every walk of life.
- A woman can performs all duties of a man but a man cannot do all that a woman can do.
- “The guess, a woman makes is much accurate than the certainity a man asserts.”
- A man’s manhood is reflected in the way he treats all the women in his life!”
- “Woman is the companion of man, gifted with equal mental capcity” ********